SEASONAL AIRPORT MAINTENANCE WORKER:
The J.A. Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport is accepting applications from individuals interested in employment as a full time Seasonal Airport Maintenance Worker to Start November 16th, 2017 and end April 7th, 2018.
Reporting to the Working Foreman, the Airport Maintenance Worker must be a team player who has the ability to work cooperatively with fellow employees in operating and maintaining runways, taxiways, aprons, fields, roads, vehicles, equipment, buildings and structures on airport property. The successful candidate must be willing to work overtime as required. Shift work is required during the term of employment and includes nights and weekends. The successful candidate may receive cross-training to perform other tasks.
Removal of snow, ice and other surface contaminants from taxiways, aprons, runways, public access roads, parking areas, meteorological and telecommunication sites, boundary lights and drainage systems.
Performs manual labour, including shoveling, mowing, ground repairs, etc.
Operates heavy and light equipment and a variety of hand and power tools required for airport maintenance activities.
Assists qualified trade and technical personnel (electrician, plumber, mechanic, etc.) in performing a variety of maintenance and repair functions across a broad spectrum of disciplines including electrical, plumbing, heating and ventilation and mechanical to various facilities and equipment.
Assist in maintenance, repairs and overhaul of gasoline and diesel powered mobile and stationary equipment.
Performance of preventative maintenance duties.
Complies with the safety rules, regulations, TP312 standards, directives, policies and procedures, manuals, written orders and instructions relevant to performance of work while adhering to safe work practices at all times.
Complies with Airside Vehicle Operators Permit (AVOP) and the Industry Canada Radio Communications Licence (ROC-A).
Works in a highly regulated environment with pre-determined policies and guidelines.
Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND CERTIFICATIONS:
The candidate must possess the following qualifications, licences and certifications:
Minimum of Grade 12 (or equivalent) education
Satisfactory criminal record check and security clearance
Must hold a valid Provincial Driver’s License (PDL), and can produce a clean driver’s abstract
Must be able to successfully obtain and maintain an Airside Vehicle Operator’s permit (AVOP/D)
Training in confined space entry, Fork Lift, ATV, First Aid & CPR, WHIMIS, and Fall Arrest considered an asset.
ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE:
The candidate must be knowledgeable and/or possess past experience in operations including;
- Airfield equipment operations.
- Airport security, airfield operations standards (TP312) and recommended practices.
- The operation of various types of equipment
- Familiarization with runway and surface maintenance procedures
- Testing procedures for surface friction
- Bird and wildlife control methods
- Safety and security regulations
- Materials management and inventory control
- Road and drainage systems
- General maintenance associated with Airport infrastructure
- Environmental considerations
- Airside operating conditions/regulations
- Equipment maintenance/repairs
- Handling hazardous materials/supplies
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work for long periods of time depending on operational requirements.
- Balance and agility to maintain a steady hand when working from scaffolds, ladders, or mobile work platforms.
- Auditory acuity to determine proper operation of motorized equipment and identify malfunctions.
- Olfactory acuity is required to detect odours that indicate hazardous conditions such as gas leaks or detect mechanical defects such as overheating engines.
- Visual acuity is required to perform duties.
- The work requires standing, walking, reaching, lifting, stretching and bending when operating on and around the Airport facilities.
- The work requires operating various vehicles for lengthy periods of time.
- Maintain strict confidentiality related to airport operations.
- Demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Honest and trustworthy, dependable, respectful, possess cultural awareness and sensitivity, flexibility to adjust to changing situations, and a strong work ethic.
Please send resume and cover letter to (including References and copies of Certificates) via e-mail to:
Mail or in person to:
J.A. Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport
2nd Floor Administration Office
280 Silver Dart Way, Sydney, Nova Scotia
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20TH, 2017 AT 11:00 AM