J.A. Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport
Your Cape Breton Island Gateway!
Golf Courses and Resorts
Hampton Inn, Membertou, Sydney - 15 minute drive from the Airport - 902-564-6555
Cambridge Suites, Esplanade, Sydney (Waterfront) - 20 minute drive from the Airport - 902-562-6500
Holiday Inn, Sydney - Waterfront - Esplanade - 20 minute drive from the Airport - 1-877-660-8550
Comfort Inn, 368 Kings Road, Sydney - 20 minute drive from the Airport 902-562-0200
Things to Do, Places to Go
- Celtic Colours International Festival - Celtic Colours is an experience like no other. For nine days every October, Cape Breton Island is alive with musid, energy and excitement as people come from far and wide to celebrate our rich culture. From concerts to dances and workshops to community suppers, we offer a full range of events against a gorgeous backdrop of autumn colours.
- Nova Scotia Music Week
- The Men of the Deeps - Glace Bay Miner's Museum - See them on You Tube North America's only Coal Miners Chorus
Museums, Festivals and Attractions
- Glace Bay Miner's Museum - Located in Glace Bay and situated on one of the most picturesque coasts of Cape Breton Island, on a 15-acre site filled with wild roses and grasses, the Cape Breton Miner's Museum pays tribute to the regions's long and rich histroy of coal mining, It is home to profound stories of moners and their families, and the resource that helped build a nation. The Museum is also home to the famour choir of miners - the Men of the Deeps. Plana visit to the Museum where you can join a retired mine guide for an underground mine tour, browse the modern exhibits and stroll through our historic village. Complete your visit with a delicious home cooked meal at the Miner's Village Restaurant.
- The World's Largest Fiddle - A "must see" located at the Port of Sydney on the Esplanade. While you're visiting the Big Fiddle, plan to have a bite to eat at Flavor on the Water located on the second floor of the Joan Harriss Pavilion on the Sydney waterfront.
- Glenora Inn & Distillery, Mabou
- The Glace Bay Heritage Museum
- Highland Village Museum
- The Beggar's Banquet Dinner Theater, Point of View Suites
- Whycocomagh Summer Festival
- Cape Breton Center for Craft & Design, Charlotte Street, Sydney
On the Water
- North River Kayak Tours, Kayak Renals
- Whale Watching & Study
- Snorkel with Whales, Cheticamp
- Eagle North Kayak Rentals & Tours
- Salmon Fishing on the Margaree River
- The Ameoba Sailing Tours, in beautiful Baddeck
The Cabot Trail
The Cabot Trail is considered one of the world's most scenic destinations, with stunning ocean vistas, old-growth forests, rock scarred by glaciers, the mysterious highlands. Read More
The Fortress of Louisbourg
The Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park French soldiers march down dirt streets and ladies dance in formal parlours. Cannon fire shakes the ground as harpsichord tunes mingle with baking bread aromas drifting from the stone bakery – step through Louisbourg’s fortress walls and time-warp back to the 1700s. Chat with fishermen, sailors and servants. Sip rum and watch lace-making as children play 300-year-old games and stew simmers on an open-hearth fire. It’s so real, it seems surreal.
Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site
You’ll find the site on the shores of the Bras d’Or Lakes overlooking Baddeck Bay and Kidston Island. The stunning grounds are open and inviting, making it a popular spot to picnic and fly kites. Look southwest and you’ll spot Baddeck harbour front, boardwalk and wharf. From the site’s roof-top deck, you can see the headlands of Beinn Bhreagh, Bell’s beloved summer home where many scientific inventions and explorations took flight.
Expect to feel instantly at home with the landscape, as Bell did when he arrived in 1885 and established his summer refuge. So compelled was Bell by Cape Breton’s beauty he believed the area outrivaled any other place in his global travels. Read More
The Savoy Theatre - To enter the Savoy Theatre is to step back In time. It was built by MacSween Contractors for its owner, John Connor, in the nineteen-twenties, to the specifications of the famed Victorian show houses. In keeping with the times, live performances of every description including boxing matches, were staged here in the early days. In its first fifty years, the Savoy provided the setting for a host of local performers and theatrical productions, and for thousands of visiting stars. Read More
- Taxi Service- City Wide Taxi 902-564-5431 or 902-564-5432
- GW Taxi & Delivery Service
Running tours to the Cabot Trail & the Fortress of Louisbourg. For further inquiries contact them at 902-295-0085 or visit their website. http://www.gwtaxi.ca/en/
Shuttle Service- Sydney/ Glace Bay/ North Sydney/ Cape Breton to Halifax
- MacLeod's Shuttle Service 902-539-2700
- Scotia Shuttle 1-800-898-5883
- Starline Shuttle 902-849-4490
- Brennan's Shuttle Service 902-737-1265 or 1-877-847-7267
- Island Shuttle 902-842-0441
- Cape Shuttle Service 902-539-8585
- East Coast Shuttle 902-794-1512
- Ez Go Shuttle Service 902-794-7261 or 1-800-499-3940
- Atlantic B&N Shuttle 902-562-9893 or 1-800-330-4223
- Carabin's & Transoverland Ltd. Motor Coach Service 902-849-4253 or 1-866-562-2877
- Cabana Charters & Tours Ltd. 902-444-3350 or 1-888-902-8111
"Explore the windswept headlands and beachside paths of Cape Breton, following the Cabot Trail on a complete circuit of the island. Stay in comfortable, authentic accommodations, including timber-frame lodges and clapboard inns, on a self-guided walking tour that lets you enjoy the region's natural beauty at your own pace.”
Restaurants and Clubs/Bars
Award Winning Cuisine in Sydney, NS - Located in the main terminal at the Sydney Airport.
Locally owned and operated Chef Todd’s Catering & Deli offers freshly prepared foods delivered to your location or available for pickup in Sydney, Nova Scotia and the surrounding areas.
- TALO Cafèbar
- Boston Pizza
- Baddeck Lobster Suppers
- Eastside Mario's
- Fitzgerald’s Restaurant
- Hong Fa
- Swiss Chalet
- Flavor 19
- Flavor on the Water, Sydney's Best Spot for Delicious Seafood
- Rita's Tea Room
- Baddeck Lobster Suppers & More...
- The Point of View Suites, take the whole family out and experience the unique, "Beggar's Banquet"
- The Cabot Links Dining, Inverness
- The Red Shoe Pub, Inverness
- The Coal Miner's Cafe, Inverness
- The Bras d'Or Lakes Inn Dining, St. Peter's
- The Dancing Goat Cafe & Bakery, Margaree
- Governors Pub and Eatery
Stop and Shop
- Big Hill Pottery
- Kenny Boone's Gallery & Studio
- Inverness Country Centre for the Arts Gift Shop
- Wildfire Pottery
- Sew Inclined Studio & Shop
Lobsters: To arrange purchase of lobsters for shipping on airlines please contact:
- Pittman's Lobsters 902-849-1815
- Ballast Ground Fisheries Ltd. 902-794-4083
- Bonnar's Meats 902-794-3963
Advertising opportunities avaialbe on our Electronic Bulletin Board in the main terminal, on our website and on facebook.Phone 902-564-7722 for details